DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

Review: Maplecroft

Maplecroft: The Borden Dispatches - Cherie Priest

The author summarized this book as, "Lizzie Borden fighting Cthulhu with an axe." Do I seriously need to add more?

What a fun read. Priest uses history as a jumping off point for her story, rather than a strict framework. Some people and events are real, but outcomes are rather different for at least one character and I'm not sure the dates would hold up to rigorous examination.

Each chapter is an entry in a journal, a letter, a report - rotating 1st person through several characters with different perspectives on the increasingly strange events at Maplecroft and in the surrounding town and region. While there are horrific creatures being fought back with an axe, it's the slow creeping madness, the wearing down of personal relationships, and the relentless attempt to make a science out of the supernatural that make this story so good.

This appears to be the first in a series, but I can't imagine where the next one would even start. It's entirely self contained and satisfying. If there is, somehow, a sequel, I will definitely pick it up.