DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

Review: Quicksilver

Quicksilver  - R.J. Anderson

Having read this as an e-book, I didn't get a good look at the cover of this sequel to Ultraviolet, and only just now see that the tagline is "Everything you are is a lie." Which is just as perfect as "Ultraviolet: Everything you believe is wrong."

Oh. Wow. This was such a fun book to read. Niki, girl on the run from scientists who want to experiment on her, is my favorite teenager ever. She solders to relax. She picks the name for her new identity from amongst her favorite engineers and scientist - Tesla. She spends a lot of brain cycles walking the tightrope between her interested in technology and trying to not be perceived as a freak by her peers. She meets the most understanding teenage boy ever, and instead of them falling instantly in love and spending the whole book in some kind of stupid, jealous series of miscommunications and betrayals, they work together and support each other.

Holy shit. I can't even believe this is a real book. I love how not like other stories this unfolds. Which was more or less true for Ultraviolet. You know, aside from the fucked up power dynamic in the romance. Which, by the way, Niki totally calls out in this book. This also doesn't have the one big "wait, what? we're going where?" surprise that Ultraviolet drops, it's a subtler set of subversive concepts and a self-saving princess who's crown looks a lot like a welding mask.

I just loved this. Both of these books. They have wildly different narrators but fit right together beautifully. <3