DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow
Daddy was an Undertaker - McDill McCown Gassman,  John V. Graven This memoir of growing up living above a funeral home is an interesting look into life in Huntsville, Alabama in the 1920’s. The city long before we were such a hub for Aviation and Missile Defense. Before we had rocket men. Before the TVA Act and the building of a series of dams that made the river navigable and provided widespread electricity bringing so much industry to the valley. It is less amazing how much has changed as it is how much is still easily recognizable. The buildings, businesses, and colloquialisms that have remained after generations of transplants have made it rare to even find someone who is actually from Huntsville.

I have no recollection of how I came to be in possession of this book, but I am so glad I did. I’d love to share it with so many people I know in town. I’m loath to lend it out at all since I might never see another copy.

Update: I did end up loaning this out to one of the local ladies I know. And, wouldn't you know it, she knew the author's sister. I so need to take her out to lunch and gush about how lovely this book is.