DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow
Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love - Jim Butcher, Peter S. Beagle, Robin Hobb, Neil Gaiman, Tanith Lee, M.L.N. Hanover, Linnea Sinclair, Yasmine Galenorn, Cecelia Holland, Lisa Tuttle, Melinda M. Snodgrass, Marjorie M. Liu, Mary Jo Putney, Jo Beverley, Jacqueline Carey, Carrie Vaughn, Diana Gabaldon, George The high points provided by Vaughn, Hanover, Snodgrass, Hobb, Gaiman, Liu, and Gabaldon represent a wide range of genres. I'm having trouble picking a favorite from that group and have listed them in the order they appear in the TOC. If the collection were just these, I'd have given it 5 stars.

Carey's somewhat dull contribution didn't leave me with a strong desire to try Kushil's Dart. Putney's starts strong, but has some seriously clunky dialog at the climax. Beverly's combination of two stories you've heard a million time before in a way that is both heavy handed and irrelevant is the only one I'd classify as bad.

Everything else was fun. I found at least 4 authors I want to investigate further. Overall a pretty good collection.