DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow
The White Luck Warrior  - R. Scott Bakker By most measures, this is probably sufficiently bleak, but not by comparison to the preceding volume. At least not for the first 100 pages or so. Then, at last, there's a decent body count, but never quite the same intensity.

Some of the new POV characters are interesting and some of the old are a lot more interesting. Somehow, though, towards the end the revelations and betrayals felt formulaic in addition to inevitable.

I don't know. I've been thinking about it for a while. It's not that I didn't enjoy reading it, but somewhere in the last 150 pages or so, it felt like the bones were showing through the flesh. Like I was looking at a structure and a set of narrative devices instead of a story.

I am looking forward to the next one to see where the groundwork established here is leading.

I am also pleased that, at long last, there was finally a euphemism besides peach.