DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

2018 Hugo Ballot: Best Fanzine

This is part of a series of posts reviewing categories in this year's Hugo ballot. I'll be discussing the entries, the voter packet, and my ballot. I've nominated and voted most years since 2011, when I figured out that all I had to do was join Worldcon to get to do so.

While I am terrible at listening to podcasts, I do peruse text based fan sites. I've even contributed to a couple over the years.

File 770, edited by Mike Glyer - This is a great site to follow fandom news, but also hosts shit like this.

Galactic Journey, edited by Gideon Marcus - This website is 55 years ahead of it's time and I'd probably have loved it as a teen. Now, it's interesting and clearly a lot of effort, but not my cup of tea.

Journey Planet, edited by Team Journey Planet - Yeah, still not my kind of thing.

nerds of a feather, flock together, edited by The G, Vance Kotrla, and Joe Sherry - A group blog that has some neat features, but not something I read regularly.

Rocket Stack Rank, edited by Greg Hullender and Eric Wong - Let's just say no, shall we? Hullender has since apologized, but, well, read the comments. That's 2017 RSR, and I'm not including it on my ballot. Yeah, deliberately not linking to their site directly.

SF Bluestocking, edited by Bridget McKinney - This is a blog I was introduced to via a previous Hugo ballot. Interesting and eclectic, but another I don't follow much.

I think what I've learned from this year's entries is that this may be another category for me to skip in future years. I'm just not heavily invested in this category. I'm not even sure I'm going to vote this year even having taken the time to look into the nominees.