DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

Review: Whipping Girl

Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity - Julia Serano

I don't generally rate nonfiction, so the lack of stars is not an indication of quality.

This is a very interesting compilation and analysis of research into transgender women's experiences, written by a trans woman. The earlier section deconstructing media portrayals of trans women has fundamentally altered my viewing of that content. Some of the other sections, though, I don't know that I have the background to grok. And some of her depictions of concepts, like gender as a construct, do not match my own in ways that make reading some sections quite challenging. I would put both of those in the positive category, though. No point reading to rehash what I already know.

This book took me ages to read. I wouldn't read it when I was too tired to pay attention, which is apparently a lot of my reading time since changing jobs. I think I learned a bit. I hope I did, anyway.