DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

Fighting in the Shadows: Untold Stories of Deaf People in the Civil War

Fighting in the Shadows: Untold Stories of Deaf People in the Civil War - Harry G. Lang

I picked this up for a research project in my Intro to ASL class and it's great.

The writing is quite engaging and the research is excellent. I was reading up on Laura Catherine Redden, a deaf poet and war correspondent who frequently met with Grant and got her first published book of poetry a pretty sweet pull quote from Lincoln. Every other resource I'd read about her was either very dry or gushing but not not well referenced. I read a few additional chapters and was impressed in general with the writing as well as the topic.

I've only read bits and pieces as a reference rather than a straight up reading, but I wanted to make not of it here since I'm sure there are some history buffs at BL who might be interesting.