DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

2018 Anticipated Titles

As I mentioned earlier this month, I'm moving away from massive beginning of year pre-orders in favor of a monthly calendar reminder to determine what books I buy, and in what format. An additional upshot, I only need to do one list of anticipated titles, rather than one for ebooks and another for physical copies.

Apparently, I had already ordered a few things before I made this decision, but, whatever, those are noted so I don't buy a second copy. Also, so few of these have covers that I decided not to include images.

Here's what I'm looking forward to in 2018:

January

The Only Harmless Great Thing - Brooke Bolander: a dark alt history out later this month (today?) featuring both the Radium Girls and Topsy the Elephant. (ebook)

February

Monster Portraits - Sofia Samatar & Del Samatar: I've already ordered a physical copy from Rose Metal Press. No idea how widely available this will be. (paperback pre-order)

March

Obsidio (The Illuminae Files) - Amie Kaufman,Jay Kristoff: book 3 in a series of epistolary YA space operas.

Impostor Syndrome (The Arcadia Project) - Mishell Baker: book 3 in a UF series with an unreliable narrator with BPD and fairies.

Stone Mad - Elizabeth Bear: a new book in the same world as Bear's excellent Karen Memory.

April

Space Opera - Catherynne M. Valente: described as HHGTTG meets Eurovision, how could I not get this? (ebook pre-order)

Dread Nation - Justina Ireland: alt-history with zombies.

May

Artificial Condition - Martha Wells: a follow up to the excellent All Systems Red.

Vengeful (Villains) - V. E. Schwab: sequel to Vicious, so superheroesque.

Owl and the Tiger Thieves (The Owl Series) - Kristi Charish: the next Owl book I am definitely looking forward to. She is is such trouble!

June

Revenant Gun - Yoon Ha Lee: 3rd installment in a trilogy that has been dynamite so far.

Apocalypse Nyx - Kameron Hurley: a collection of short fiction from the Bel Dame Apocrypha universe.

July

The Freeze-Frame Revolution - Peter Watts: based on the description, I have no idea what to expect. Space thriller?

Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers) - Becky Chambers: a new Wayfarers book! Yes!

European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club) - Theodora Goss: Sequel to last year's excellent The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter, this looks like another fun fantasy.

The Calculating Stars - Mary Robinette Kowal: I won a manuscript for this at an auction last year, and it's amazing. Looking forward to reading the final form of this great alt history.

August

Rogue Protocol: The Murderbot Diaries - Martha Wells: a third Murderbot book!

Exile's Throne - Rhonda Mason: third in a trilogy of fun space opera adventure tales.

The Fated Sky: A Lady Astronaut Novel - Mary Robinette Kowal: sequel to Calculating Stars.

September

The Echo Room - Parker Peevyhouse: YA time travel.

December

Untitled Expanse Novel - James S.A. Corey: book 8? Have I stuck with a series for 8 books? Plus the short fiction that gets released between each novel? Wild.

This list is a preponderance of sequels.

What exciting things have I missed?