DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

Review: The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter

The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter - Theodora Goss

I had a hard time putting this down. Not exactly action packed, but compelling in a way that made for a few late nights where I needed to see what would happen next.

The second book I've read this year structured so that the "author" is one of the protagonists. Though in this case, one not met until well into the narrative, but known more quickly by name thanks to sections of fourth wall breaking conversations characters have about the in progress manuscript's content.

This is also the I-don't-know-th Sherlock Holmes I've encountered this year. So many Holmeses that it is a bit of a relief to have him be a secondary character.

Rather, this book follows the monsters, the left behind experiments of the mad scientists so familiar from remake after new take, never mind their creations.

This book is what Penny Dreadful would be if it had substance and heart and consistent characters and I enjoyed it very much.