DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

2017 Hugo Ballot - Best Fanzine

This is part of a series of posts reviewing categories in this year's Hugo ballot. I'll be discussing the entries, the voter packet, and my ballot. I've nominated and voted most years since 2011, when I figured out that all I had to do was join Worldcon to get to do so. Not only that, but if you participate in one year, you still get to nominate the next year. This year, thanks to a rule change, we nominated up to 5 entries, and the final ballot included the top 6.

Fanzine has morphed from paper newsletters to group blogs and digital resources over the years. Below are this year's finalists, listed in the order they appeared on the official announcement, with my notes on each.

Castalia House Blog, edited by Jeffro Johnson - Nope.

Journey Planet, edited by James Bacon, Chris Garcia, Esther MacCallum-Stewart, Helena Nash, Errick Nunnally, Pádraig Ó Méalóid, Chuck Serface, and Erin Underwood. Yeah, not my kind of thing in format or content.

Lady Business, edited by Clare, Ira, Jodie, KJ, Renay, and Susan - I read this blog regularly. The contributors are all great. Will be in the top half of my ballot.

nerds of a feather, flock together, edited by The G, Vance Kotrla, and Joe Sherry. I occasionally read things from this group blog, but don't follow it regularly.

Rocket Stack Rank, edited by Greg Hullender and Eric Wong - I appreciate the level of work involved here, but my heart belongs to other endeavors.

SF Bluestocking, edited by Bridget McKinney - I had never heard of this prior to this year's ballot. McKinney's reviews are interesting and I'll likely check them out in the future.

In summary, not a lot of depth to my opinions here. Lady Business is at the top, followed by SF Bluestocking, nerds of a feather, and Rocket Stack Rank.