DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

Review: Lord of Scoundrels

Lord of Scoundrels - Loretta Chase

This was published back in the mid '90s, a time friends kept trying to get me into romance and failing miserably. I really wish one of them had given me this. This book stars an alpha-male and the heroine has sensibilities more in line with modern times, but spends the narrative critiquing its genre trappings and celebrating its wonderful leading woman.

Also, so many passages are laugh out loud funny.

Compared to the other Romance I've read this year, it feels dated. Compared to the Romance I read when I didn't have the internet to research what to read, this is a brilliant book. So of course, the internet brought it to me. As a recommendation in this article from last February, from Hugo Nominee for best fan writer, Natalie Luhrs.

I don't know what else I can say about this book that wouldn't just be dragging the Romance genre. I'm glad I've read it, and glad I'm finally figuring out how to access books I like in this genre. I once did a statistical analysis of my book ratings that showed Romance was the reason I rated female authors lower than male authors. It was a robust argument against reading more Romance, but instead I just did more research before reading. I suspect that if I run the numbers again next year, that conclusion will no longer hold true.