DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

Review: Ms. Marvel Vol 6

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 6: Civil War II - G. Willow Wilson, Takeshi Miyazawa, Adrian Alphona

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Kelly Sue Deconnick isn't writing Captain Marvel any more? Her appearance in this installment of Ms. Marvel is a complete stranger to me. Maybe I'd have enjoyed it more if I didn't find the difference so jarring.

There's some great stuff that happens around the Minority Report riff that makes up most of this volume. (Also, delighted that a character references that movie at one point, because, yeah.) There is also some stuff I'm struggling with. In Vol. 5, Kamala's the cause of her own problems because she's trying to do too many things, and be too many people. In this volume, she lets her hero worship for her namesake override everything else. It's a far less interesting, less appealing arc saved only by not pressing a specific reset button at the end.

I loved the last issue in this. I hope she keeps up with her new friend. And I hope there's minimal contact with Captain Marvel from here on out.