DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

Review: Geek Feminist Revolution

The Geek Feminist Revolution - Kameron Hurley

There are a million great reviews of this book already, you don't need mine. Instead I'm going to nitpick one essay, then give you links to better review, and links to some of the essays as samples if you aren't already sold.

But seriously, buy this book. Read this book. There will be a quiz. Every day of your goddamn life is a quiz this book has answers to.

Part 1, in which I am tedious and pedantic.

Hurley loves narrative. It's her day job, her dream job, her whole life. Her essay trying to sell me on narrative, though, I have to give a little side eye to. Her "isn't narrative great!" example is how she successfully sold people something they didn't need. And her rabid enthusiasm for the subject comes across like that of people I know who are super into firearms. Yeah, it's great, but in the hands of the ignorant or the malicious, it's also a fucking terrible weapon we are all vulnerable to. If you need evidence of that, just look at who we just fucking elected. In my firearms metaphor, narrative with no basis in fact is a gun with the safety off. So here, even in complaining, I'm not disagreeing with her. You're right, Hurley, it's great. It's fucking amazing. Please be careful where you aim it and always act like its loaded, even when you "know" it isn't.

Part 2, better posts you should read.

Ana at The Book Smugglers (review)

Silvana at GR (review)

Aiden Moher at B&N (review/interview)

Part 3, a few of the included essays.

Gender, Family, Nookie: The Speculative Frontier

On Public Speaking While Fat

Female Rage Doesn’t Exist In A Vacuum

Part 4, there's always an epilogue.

I lied. I'm not ready for an epilogue. I'm too busy kicking the world square in the nuts.