DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

Short Fiction Recommendations

I haven't managed to finish reading anything recently, so instead of a review, here are links to free to read versions of some of my favorite short fiction pieces:

For Want of a Nail by Mary Robinette Kowal was originally published in Asimov's in 2010. This links to a reprint on her website, after it was nominated for a Hugo. Yes, I was one of the voters who nominated it.

If You Were A Dinosaur, My Love by Rachel Swisky is another Hugo nominated story, printed in Apex Magazine, 2013. Yes, I was one of the voters who nominated it.

Each to Each by Seanan McGuire was the first story in Lightspeed's Women Destroy Science Fiction Issue, 2014. I was a backer for this kickstarter funded special issue and feel this story alone was worth the expense.

Walkdog by Sofia Samatar appeared in Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories, 2014. The whole anthology is good, as detailed in my review.

Testimony Of Samuel Frobisher Regarding Events On Her Majesty’s Ship CONFIDENCE, 14-22 June, 1818, With Diagrams* by Ian Tregillis originally appeared in F&SF in 2014. This links to the audio version at Podcastle. It is entirely possible that I have cosplayed a character from this story. Guess which one.

Time Bomb Time by C. C. Finlay was in a recent issue of Lightspeed. This story makes my brain very happy. I think I posted a link to it previously in one of the Booklikes Discussion forums, but here it is again. Again is it? Here.

Happy reading!

*Alas, in spite of the name, there are no actual diagrams, even in the print version.