DMS

Saturdays in Books

Kathryn Morrow, James K. Morrow

The 2015 TBR Pile

The last few years, I've put together a book list in a semi-private G+ post.  Until last year, I even did a good job of actually reading everything on it. (Ah, 2014, year of not reading anything I thought I would. Or anything much at all.)

This year, I thought I'd expand the list into a blog post with some notes about each title, including which will be e-books. I hear all the cool kids are doing it.

February releases:

Karen Memory - Elizabeth Bear. Steampunk meets old west with an interesting sounding narrator.

The Many Faces of Josephine Baker - Peggy Caravantes. This MG book about Josephine Baker looks like a fun biography and is aimed at my niece's age group.

Storm in a Teacup - Emmie Mears (e-book). Based on the description, this would be a "maybe," but I read her Masked Songbird book and loved it to pieces. Plus Nashville, TN sounds like a fun UF setting. Mears is smart and subtle with character and not at all shy of violence and gore.

March releases:

The Sweetest Heist in History - Octavia Spencer. A second Ninja Detective book? Hot. I loved the first one so of course I am picking this up right away. For my niece. Well, okay, maybe also for me.

The Mechanical - Ian Tregillis (e-book). Clockpunk alt-history expanding a universe introduced in a short story I loved. It's unlikely I'll like this as much as his last novel because, seriously, that's one of my all time favorite books. I might be a little excited about this one.

Persona - Genevieve Valentine. An author who's longer fiction I keep meaning to try. SF thriller has been kind of hit and miss for me as a genre, but this one sounds fantastic.

May releases:

The Wrath and the Dawn - Renee Ahdieh. A reimagining of A Thousand and One Nights as a YA romance. I don't even know what that means. I want to know what that means.

The Book of Phoenix - Nnedi Okorafor. Prequel to the excellent Who Fears Death. Gorgeous cover. This is one of two books Okorafor has coming out this year. I'm getting both.

June releases:

Nemesis Games - James Corey. I've been a fan of this series for  quite some time. These are also almost the only fiction my spouse reads. He'll get the e-book, but I'm still getting the physical ones with the gorgeous, gorgeous covers.

July releases:

Lagoon - Nnedi Okorafor. I heard her read the first chapter at Worldcon in 2012, and it was indescribable. I expect this will be one of the stranger reads of the year for me.

August releases:

Mechanica - Betsy Cornwell (ebook). Synopsis sounds a lot like a book I passed on a couple years back, but somehow this one sounds more appealing.

Edge of Dawn - Melinda M. Snodgrass (e-book). Book three in this UF with a male lead where the supernatural elements are modern religion. The science vs. belief stuff is heavy handed in this series. The character interactions are frequently a special kind of corny full of meaningful looks. I find it quite appealing, and just a heck of a lot of fun both in spite and because of those things.

Kitty Saves the World - Carrie Vaughn (e-book). The final installment of a UF series I've loved for more than 10 installments.

September releases:

A Pocket Full of Murder - R.J. Anderson. Another MG title. To quote the gr description, "A Veronica Mars-type girl joins forces with a mystery-loving street boy to solve a murder in a 1930s-style city driven by spell power."

The House of Shattered Wings - Aliette de Bodard. UF set in Paris. I've read a lot (but not all) of her short fiction and looking forward to this quite a bit.

Chapelwood - Cherie Priest (undecided format). Sequel to Maplecroft, a novel where Lizzie Borden fights Cthulhu with an axe. This time, Lizzie is in Birmingham, Alabama. I have the first in paperback, but I'm betting I'll want to read this in bed, which makes e-book easier. Fortunately, I have some time to decide to cancel the ebook and go for paper if I need to.

October releases:

Company Town - Madeline Ashby. An author I've been meaning to try. This description is bananas. Possibly serial killers, possibly alternate timelines, definitely bio-engineered humans? Yeah, I'm up for that.

Empire Ascendant - Kameron Hurley. Second book in an epic fantasy trilogy. I don't often find epic fantasy satisfying, but the first book pushed so many of the right buttons for me. Those buttons are D, E, I, R, and W.

Ancillary Mercy - Ann Leckie. Final book in a trilogy that started with win-all-the-awards Ancillary Justice. I'm reading the second book right now. It came out during the dark two months of 2014 where I didn't finish a single book, and kept slipping from the top of my pile - I'm loving it so far.

This is by no means is that a complete list of titles I'm interested in. Just what I have preorderd so far. The next Owl book, the next White Trash Zombie book, I am Princess X, Mars Evacuees, and countless others will probably find their way into my library. And there are still a dozen books from last year I haven't read yet. I do so enjoy having problems like this.

Anything else I should add?